Since discovering the price of mince I have not had spag bol at University and settled for quorn. However I feel like I lost the point a bit by using a meat substitute by adding my favorite ingredient… BACON!
This time i forked out £3 and bought some mince. I also divided the mince into two so I could make two lots of bolognese. So this is my make shift – no instructions- spag bol from sctrach.
1 Clove of garlic
Pasta/ Spaghetti (as much as you normally add)
2 pieces of bacon per person (or if your me 2 per person)
1 Jar of bolognese
1. Chop the onions and garlic whilst trying not to cry. Add them to a frying pan with oil until they cook.
2. Slice the bacon and all along with the mince to the pan. Chop up the mince with a wooden spoon.
3. Boil water and add to a pan with pasta and some oil and salt.
4. When the mince and bacon is fully cooked add the bolognese sauce and stir both the sauce and pasta until it is fully cooked
5. Add parmesan and basil to taste, and dig in!
Although the sauce was quite oily from the bacon I ended up making enough for three servings so it went quite far! Plus onions, pasta and garlic are very cheap and long lasting so I only really spent money on mince and the sauce. It is very quick and easy, so even as a student I have no excuses.
7/10 – good grub.